APN News

  • Tuesday, May, 2022| Today's Market | Current Time: 03:00:57
  • Shocking news! World War II bomb blasts in Manipur after 76 years, two youths killed

    Published on September 30, 2021

    by Bhupen Goswami

     GUWAHATI : Two people have been killed in a world war II bomb blast at Moreh in Tengnaupal district of Manipur on the Indo-Myanmar border. A police official said the incident took place around 4 pm when the victims were identified as Lalsangmuon Gangte, (27) and Liankhogin Gangte, (23), who were digging a pit in their backyard.

    The duo was reportedly the sons of late Thangminelin Gangte of Gangte Weng in Moreh and late Lingneneelam Gangte. M Amit said that “As per preliminary investigation, we came to know that the deceased were digging a pit to dump garbage in their backyard when they mistakenly considered the bomb to be of the era of World War II by their decree. Tenganaupal SP said a total of 122 unexploded artillery shells of World War II bombs were dug from the same place in November last year. Area President Thangpao Bete has called upon the government to announce ex-gratia to the families of the victims.

    He said the administration removed a large number of old bombs from the area where both the men were killed. He said “it appears that not all bombs were removed.” I appeal to the government to provide financial assistance to the family in view of their loss” Earlier, in June 2020, two second-world-term mortar shells were found in Churachandpur district of Manipur, which were destroyed through a controlled explosion.

    SEE COMMENTS

    Leave a Reply