by Sachin Murdeshwar
Mumbai: Mr. Amitabh Bachchan gave a clarion call of ‘Apna Kal Khud Banao’ to students as India’s first-of-its-kind Gamified Learning Ed-Tech app, STEPapp was unveiled with an aim to revolutionize K-12 education in the country.
STEPapp was unveiled in Mumbai by Mr. Praveen Tyagi (MD, PACE IIT & Medical; and Founder CEO, Eduisfun Technologies) in the presence of distinguished academicians and corporate honchos – Mrs. Manisha Verma (IAS,
STEPapp’s vision is to provide universal access to quality education to every child in the country via technology. And this app is the first STEP in their mission to create a bank of meritorious children for the country, removing the barriers of social, economic, gender, region and learning inequity. The app works on the most basic smartphone with minimal data requirement. The pricing is such that it is accessible to most people in India.
STEPapp will launch many other apps in the future to gamify education and introduce newer ways to learn. STEPapp comes from the IITian’s PACE family, a group which has 20 years of experience in creating success stories for kids, some of whom are now change-makers at leading companies across the world. It is this experience which makes
STEPapp starts with building Math and Science proficiency via two programs – STEP Scholar and STEP Learn.
· STEP Learn is the learning program for grades 5-11 mapped to complete math and science syllabus of CBSE and ICSE. It breaks down tough concepts into easy to understand capsules and then tests the children on their learning – in a gamified format. Students cannot move on to next learning capsule until they answer all question correctly. And hence it ensures that the kids have conceptual clarity before they move on.
· STEP Scholar is the scholarship program which gives an opportunity of a lifetime for students to build their own future with scholarships ranging from Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 1 crore from a total pool of Rs. 50 crore.
· As an introductory offer, the first 1 lakh students of each grade will receive STEP Learn (worth Rs. 5,000) gratis for their current grade.
· In addition to the big scholarships, students can also win next grade’s STEP Learn free basis their performance.
· Mentorship and guidance for the winners through 400+ IITians and Doctors will be continuous. Once STEPapp identifies merit, they will handhold these kids to success.
· Registrations for STEP Scholarprogram have already begun. Students from 5th to 11th standards are eligible to register in this program.
STEPapp has several prominent strategic alliance partners such as YES Bank as banking partner, PACE as knowledge partner, PayTM and iCollege as strategic alliance partners. STEPapp is energised by 400+ IITians and Doctors from PACE IIT & Medical Entrance Coaching.
Mr. Amitabh Bachchan said, “The future of our country lies in the education of our children. Praveen Tyagi’s STEPapp has made learning interesting and rewarding for students. Teaching children through games is an innovative step. My best wishes are with Mr. Tyagi’s team comprising 400 IITians, who have helped create an innovation like STEPapp.”
Mr. Deepak Parekh, Chairman, HDFC Group, said, “India has tremendous growth and one of the pre-requisites to achieve this kind of growth is education. We have to make education acceptable and enjoyable for students by transforming teaching. The entire education system has to change towards storytelling and gamified learning. One more interesting way is to induce competitiveness in the game form where students compete with each other to solve the puzzle in quick time and then the winners get prizes or recognition. I wish Eduisfun and Praveen Tyagi best of luck in their endeavour.”
Mr. Piyush Pandey, Chief Creative Officer Worldwide and Executive Chairman, India, Ogilvy Group, said, “Along with Mr. Amitabh Bachchan, I am privileged and honoured to be part of the fantastic journey of a lifetime that Mr. Praveen Tyagi has embarked upon with STEPapp. I grew up in a middle class household with 9 siblings but our father gave us three things – education, exposure and opportunity. India has a fantastic tradition of good teachers but we are unfortunate that these teachers are not sufficient to cater to the large number of students. In many parts of India, bright students have to make a hard choice between the pen and the Parivar(family). STEPapp’s Student Talent Enhancement Program is a fantastic way of gamified education – inexpensive, friendly and futuristic.”
STEPapp has been successfully implemented in 16 Eklavya Model Residential Schools run by The Tribal Development Department under the Maharashtra Government. All Andheri Municipal Corporation Schools will run the STEPapp after running a trial with the students.