APN News

  • Thursday, September, 2020| Today's Market | Current Time: 04:35:58
  • US condemns Syria assault around Aleppo

    Published on December 24, 2013

    The US has condemned the indiscriminate air assault by the Syrian government in and around Aleppo city which has killed more than 300 White Housepeople, including children.

    “The United States condemns the ongoing air assault by Syrian government forces on civilians, including the indiscriminate use of SCUD missiles and barrel bombs in and around Aleppo over the last week,” White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said.

    The intensive “barrel bomb” bombardment over the weekend of Aleppo and other northern towns by the Syrian regime of President Bashar al-Assad has killed more than 300 people and cast renewed doubt over next month’s peace talks.

    Carney said that the Syrian government must respect its obligations under international humanitarian law to protect the civilian population.

    He demanded that the Syrian government must fulfil its November commitment to do more to facilitate the safe and unhindered delivery of humanitarian assistance, so that millions of Syrian men, women, and children have access to urgently needed services.

    “To bring the suffering of the Syrian people to an end, it is imperative that Syrians reach a comprehensive and durable political solution to end the crisis in Syria,” the White House spokesperson said adding that the US remains committed to advancing a political settlement to help end the bloodshed in Syria.

    The Syrian civil war has killed more than 100,000 people, according to estimates from the United Nations, following the revolt against President Assad that began more than two and a half years ago in March 2011.

    Millions more have been displaced in surrounding countries.

    Loading...