APN News

  • Tuesday, September, 2020| Today's Market | Current Time: 02:05:44
  • US President Donald Trump calls off peace talks with Taliban over Kabul attack

    Published on September 8, 2019

    US President Donald Trump has called off a peace deal with Taliban leaders and Afghan President Ashraf Ghani that sought to end America’s 18-year war in Afghanistan. In a series of tweets, Trump said, he had been set to meet Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and senior Taliban leaders at Camp David. However, he cancelled the meeting and called off negotiations after the group admitted to an attack in Kabul that killed a US soldier.

    Trump in another tweet said, unfortunately, in order to build false leverage, they admitted to an attack in Kabul that killed one of our great soldiers, and 11 other people. He said if they cannot agree to a ceasefire during these very important peace talks, and would even kill 12 innocent people, then they probably do not have the power to negotiate a meaningful agreement anyway.

    As part of the proposed deal, the US would withdraw 5,400 troops from Afghanistan within 20 weeks. The US currently has about 14,000 troops in the country.

    Loading...